Monday, June 30, 2008

Write His Answer by Marlene Bagnull



And the Lord said to me, "Write my answer on a billboard, large and clear, so that anyone can read it at a glance and rush to tell the others." Habakkuk 2:2


This scripture begins the devotional for writers, Write His Answer. Ms. Bagnull voice is gentle and encouraging. And for this writer, it is what I needed after years of harsh criticism. Knowing someone else had been in the trenches and knew exactly how low I felt was the balm for my soul.


The book breaks devotions into small daily inspirational truths. The author uses personal experience to shine light on her message of hope.


One of my favorite lines from one of her devotions, she says, "We are literature missionaries." Wow! Could something I say or show in my character's emotion actually lead people closer to the Lord? I know that it is God's purpose for my life to write Christian fiction, but could His will include something as great as becoming a literature missionary?


If you want to know what God wants you to do, ask him, and he will gladly tell you. James 1:5.


For a time I struggled with what genre God wanted me to write. I knew in my heart that writing hot & steamy was not becoming of a Christian nor was it right to lead readers into lustful thoughts, causing them to sin. But what about secular fiction? Clean fiction?


I finally surrendered my will to Him. Finding His will for my life brought me peace. However, I felt self-conscience and inadequate proclaiming His truth. Ms. Bagnull summed up exactly what I felt.


"Why don't you just give up?" the Evil One Hissed, "you don't have what it takes. You're only setting yourself up for heartache. What makes you think God can use you anyway?"


Several years and about thirty rejection slips later, the book I had tried so hard to sell at that conference was finally accepted for publication. What enabled me to persevere? I knew that I knew God had called me to write. I clung to the promise that I would be "rooted deeply in the soil and bear fruit for God" (2 Kings 19:30). And God faithfully honored His promise.


Now I know it is God's will for me to write Christian fiction, so then I can relax and live in peace that He will fulfill a good work in me even to the point of publication.


Every time I read this daily devotional I remember my calling through Ms. Bagnull's encouraging words. One day will come when the Lord will use my voice to write His answer on the billboards of bookshelves.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were encouraged by her book. You are a wonderful writer so don't give up. I believe you are called to write in your unique historical voice. I love Hattie Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was encouraged by Marlene's book. It was a gift from a wonderful writing friend. Your post has brought back the encouragement I felt when I first read, Write His Answer. Thank you! God bless!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Writing Tip of the Day



________________