Sunday, March 15, 2009

Revision & Self-Editing by James Scott Bell

If you've heard James Scott Bell speak, you're familiar with his own brand of humor. "Revision & Self-Editing" is written with his light hand and funny way of teaching. If you haven't heard him, you're in for a treat in making study fun. The first half explains the art of self-editing, while the second half talks about revision including the ultimate revision checklist.
Bell uses alliteration or rhyming words often to remind us of aims for our writing. I'm particularly fond of Grit, Wit and It in building my lead character. Each chapter ends with two or three exercises, all of which reinforce what was taught in that chapter. My three favorite chapters are Scene, Voice and Theme. I learned here one of the best tips I've heard to develop voice & style.
Revision assistance provides new thoughts on what to look for in those final read-throughs. Ever want to know the trick to good writing? Bell provides us with insight into "the trick that can't be explained."
Read. Enjoy. Learn. Improve.

1 comment:

  1. I ordered it but haven't had time to read it yet. I'm looking forward to it now with your endorsement. Only thing is, now I can't blog about it.

    ReplyDelete

Writing Tip of the Day



________________