Sunday, August 17, 2008

Time-Out for the Spirit

The book I'd like to recommend today isn't a writing book. It's a book of devotions, a Guidepost publication. This book has inspired me and provoked thoughts on ways of dealing with everyday life which, writer or not, happens to us all. The sub-title is Two Minute Quiet Times for Times That Aren't Quiet. Many talented writers contributed to its content.

When my husband and I took a nine day vacation last fall, we read a page of this book to kick off each day. Each evening since then, I have read a page before going to bed starting my night off with good thoughts and dreams that inspire. Out of 293 devotions, it's easy to go to the index and pick out one to correspond with what you're going through at the time.

Here are some of favorites:
Page 3 - When a door closes.
Page 120 - When you're angry
Page 235 - When you're trying to diet
Page 284 - When your creative juices seem to have dried up

The one I've read the most is page 188 "When you're having a conflict with your children" written by Marion Bond West. I love my children unconditionally, but God used this devotion to speak to me. Though my child walked a wrong path, I blocked an answer to prayer by unforgiveness in my heart for her actions. God used that verse and devotion to show me I was wrong. I turn to it for a reminder again and again.

For my writer friends with deadlines and obligations in writing as well as in your family, job and other ministries, finding a quick source of inspiration can be invaluable. I highly recommend keeping "Time-Out for the Spirit" near by.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for recommending this book, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good book to have around to address the exact problem you are facing. We all have different needs at different stages of our life. Thanks for suggesting this book to help us along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our busy world, how many of us take time to study the word? Even when we can't seem to carve out time for the washing and cleansing of word, at least devotionals keep what is good, what is lovely, what is of good report on our minds. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Writing Tip of the Day



________________