Saturday, April 3, 2010

Top Five Best Craft of Writing Books

In all of the conferences, workshops, and meetings I've ever attended, I've heard the same titles touted amongst the masses as the best books to learn to write by. We here at Bookstowriteby strive to bring you such books to cultivate your craft. I thought today we would review, in my opinion, five books which I believe should be on every writer's bookshelf.

In no particular order, here are the five:

Dwight Swain
Techniques of the Best Selling Writer













Donald Maass
Writing the Breakout Novel



James Scott Bell
Plot and Structure


Jack Bickham
Scene and Structure



Margie Lawson
Empowering Charactions' Emotions

Granted this last one is not a book, but you can go to her website and order her lecture packet. I have the packet, plus I have had the honor sitting through one of her workshops as well as enrolling in her online courses. The content of her lectures are outstanding. I learned more about characterization through her workshop then I have reading books on the subject.

If you are in the market for buying books, add these to your shelf. If you are in a money crunch, then look at local library annual book sales, half.com, amazon.com to see if you can buy a used book. If you just want to borrow a book check them out at your library or borrow from a friend. You won't be sorry.











2 comments:

  1. I agree. These are wonderful. However, trying to pick out just 5 is terribly difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some good suggestions that should help any writer get a good start.

    ReplyDelete

Writing Tip of the Day



________________