Sunday, May 24, 2009

Deep Editing by Margie Lawson

I'm currently enrolled in the Deep Editing Class with Margie Lawson. I attended a one day workshop at an American Christian Fiction Writers' Conference a couple of years ago. Since that time, I have taken three more of her online courses.

In "Defeating Self-Defeating Behaviors", I learned to recognize what habits were keeping me from writing.

In "Empowering Character's Emotions", I learned techniques for writing better characters.

With "Deep Editing", I'm learning to comb through my work for places where I could strengthen my story using her techniques. I took the course once before, but I fell behind because I was revising a manuscript. So I signed up again. Although the course is one month in length, I am working at my own pace so it will take me a little longer to finish.

I know I am learning as I recognize these techniques in the writings of others. I make suggestions on the work of my critique group. The next step is applying what I've learned to my writing.

I like the online courses because I can do the work any day at any time, and I can create files for the material to study again.

If you have the opportunity, sign up for one of Margie's courses or attend one of the many workshops she conducts across the country. You won't be sorry you did. Contact her at www.MargieLawson.com for a list of her courses and workshops.

At some point in the future, she may publish a book on these subjects. In the meantime, sign up for a course. Your writing will benefit.

2 comments:

  1. You put me to shame! I need to be honing my craft like you are. You review Marge Lawson well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right on about the value of this course.

    ReplyDelete

Writing Tip of the Day



________________